Friday, February 22, 2013

When Mistakes Go Right

I'm very good at starting projects...and for the most part, I'm pretty good at finishing them. However, if a crochet project has more than one piece (slippers, socks, etc.), it's pretty much a toss up as to whether or not the second piece ever gets made...this poor cowl scarf has the same sad story. I saw this Lace Persimmon Cowl on Ravelry and bought the pattern a few months ago.
© 2012 by Susan Enders
The cowl is made from two identical pieces (or so I thought...more on that later) that get sewn together at the shoulders. I thought it was unique and HAD to make it. Within a few days, I had made the first piece. It was not difficult and worked up pretty fast. For some reason though, it took months for me to get around to making the second piece. The first piece sat in a basket next to my yarn stash and silently mocked me but that ended up being too much work.every time I started a new project. I finally gave in, and finished the second piece.

It wasn't until after I sewed my two pieces together, that I really looked at the pattern again. I had missed the part that said the second section was only about half the length of the first...oops! I had wondered why mine didn't quite look like the picture in the pattern...I tried to figure out how to take the cowl apart again so I could make the back the right size. Ugh, too much work! Especially, since I had JUST finished making that second piece. So, instead I played around with my new infinity scarf...and you know what? I really like it! It's very versatile...and the two "shoulder seams" give it some visual interest and make it lay really nicely. I'm planning on trying again (hopefully it won't take three months) to make the cowl the intended way, but for once, I'm really glad I didn't read all the directions!

Here are a few ways I've found to wear my new infinity scarf...

As a long infinity scarf with the "shoulder seams" at the top and bottom - I like that this makes it feel less bulky around my neck...

Wrapped twice with the "shoulder seams" at the back on the neck - again with the less bulky thing...

Here's the scarf wrapped around twice with an added flower pin.

With the pin to the side...

As a long infinity scarf with the flower pin below one shoulder...

As a long infinity scarf with the "shoulder seams" asymmetrical...

I tried wearing it with the"shoulder seams" parallel to each other, but it's a bit awkward looking due to where they fall...I felt like it was saying "Please look at my boobs" - not really the impression I want to give :)

Looking forward to wearing this one soon!

I love it when mistakes go right!

No comments:

Post a Comment