Friday, March 29, 2013

Naptime: Day 10 - Free Crochet Baby Aviator Hat Pattern

Two of my best friends, both named Sarah, are due to have babies within two days of each other. The first Sarah found out she was having a girl. See her gift here. The second Sarah, who is having her second child, found out she is having her second boy. This is her "It's a Boy!" package. I went with an airplane/transportation theme for this one.

A fleece blanket with crochet edging.

An airplane crochet baby lovey (with a chart for those who want to make one).

A little outfit. I love the helicopter embroidered on the bum.

And a crochet aviator hat.

Cute, huh? Want to make your own? Here's how...

Materials:
1 skein worsted weight yarn (I used Bernat Waverly in Turtle Green)
Small amount super fuzzy white yarn (This was in my stash, but I think it's Red Heart Baby Clouds)
"I" hook
Two buttons

The hat is worked in joined rounds, and the ear flaps and front flap are worked in rows. This pattern is for a 0-6 month old, or for a 16 to 18 inch head - add or subtract stitches in the first row, and increase or decrease rows for different sizes. Like the hat but don't know how to crochet? No problem! You can buy one at my Etsy shop, The Sequin Turtle. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Here are six patterns to help you resize this hat if you need to.

Hat:
Round 1: In magic circle, 11dc, join to first dc
Round 2: ch 2 (counts as stitch throughout), dc in same stitch, 2dc in every stitch (22 stitches), join to beginning ch

Round 3: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next stitch, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (33 stitches), join

Round 4: ch 2, dc in same stitch, *dc in next 2 stitches, 2dc in following stitch, repeat from * (44 stitches), join (measures about 4.5" in diameter)

Round 5- 12: ch 2, dc in each stitch (44 stitches), join (measures about 6" in length)


Making First Ear Flap:
Row 13: ch 2, dc in next 7 stiches, turn (8 stitches)

Row 14: ch 2, dc2tog, dc in next 4 stiches, dc2tog (this will include the beginning chain), turn (6 stitches)

Row 15: ch 2, dc2tog, dc in next 2 stitches, dc2tog (this will include the beginning chain), turn (4 stitches)

Row 16: ch 2, dc2tog, dc2tog (this will include the beginning chain) (2 stitches)
Fasten off

Making Second Ear Flap:
With right side facing, count 18 stitches from the edge of the first ear flap. Join yarn and repeat directions for First Ear Flap.


Continue Hat:
With Fluffy White Yarn
Round 17: With wrong side facing, join yarn to the front of the hat, just in front of the left earflap and sc around the entire hat, working approximately 8 stitches into the sides of the ear flaps and 2sc into each of the two dc at the bottom of the ear flap (otherwise the ear flap will curl in too much), join with a sl st to the first sc.

Round 18: Ch 2, dc in each stitch until the right ear flap (18 stitches), turn.
Round 19-21: Ch 2, dc in each stitch. Fasten off and weave in ends. Note - with this super fuzzy yarn, it can be hard to see your previous stitches. Don't worry, just keep track of the number of stiches per row, and always try to get your last stitch at the end of the previous row - anyways, plus or minus a couple of stitches won't be noticeable. Two of my rows had only 16 stitches instead of 18 - oh well! (Flap measures about 3")

Finishing:
Sew the front flap onto the hat, and sew on the two buttons. Safety pins help keep things in place.

Congratulations! You've just finished your own baby aviator hat! If you use this pattern, I would love to see a picture!

17 comments:

  1. I love this pattern! I made one last weekend for a baby gift. She just loves it and can't wait to take a newborn pic with him wearing it. Great job!!

    Here's a link to my pictures. http://thismonkeyknits.blogspot.com/2013/07/flying-high.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! I'm glad you liked it! I love the plane - too cute!

      Delete
  2. Loved the plane!! I'll try make one! :)
    In case you want to see my projects:
    http://meupassatemponodiaadia.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pattern was wondering if you mind it being sold (the finished item) giving all pattern credit and a link to your blog of course Thank you! 

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just picked up 10 balls of Sublime Organic Merino at my local Goodwill for $3.99. It's a moss color. I figured it would be great for this hat and it was. I did the trim in a yarn called Tizzy by Bernat, It came out great. I would love to send you a picture. I will try to attach it if it doesn't work please let me know how to do it.
    https://blu179.mail.live.com/att/GetAttachment.aspx?tnail=0&messageId=6a7d8b6c-517a-11e3-aeb5-00215ad84b9a&Aux=2314|0|8D0B39E553BD870||0|1|0|0|7|5,11,53,65&cid=5be4e898a083e913&maxwidth=220&maxheight=160&size=Att

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi- I just finished a girl version of your baby Aviator Hat, with pink, with the white fuzzy brim! It turned out so cute! Thank you for the wonderful and easy pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you know where I can find a pattern for goggles to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of any patterns, but a ravelry search turned up a few you could try. I have made a pair myself in the past by simply making two black circles, edging them in brown, and adding a brown strap that fits around the hat. Unfortunately, I do not have a pattern for them, it was a one-off kind of thing. I hope you find what you're looking for!

      Delete
  8. Thank you so much for sharing all your free patterns. I'm just about finished with this hat (only buttons left to do) and I love it! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is simply too cute.Thank you for sharing. I like the way you packed the girls gift . where did you get the package from?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used the extra fabric from the burp clothes I made and some ribbon to make a little drawstring bag - something similar to this http://www.themotherhuddle.com/tutorial-15-minute-fat-quarter-drawstring-bag/.

      Delete
  10. I'm confused about the aviator hat pattern. It goes from row 12 to 15. What is in between?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing in between, it's a typo, but it has been updated. Thanks for catching that!

      Delete
  11. How adorable! Thank you very much for posting this pattern!! :)

    ReplyDelete