Friday, June 28, 2013

Orla Kiely Inspired Wall Decor

I have a slight obsession with Orla Kiely. I just love her designs - the colors, the simplicity, the repetition. While I was waiting for my new Orla Kiely bag to arrive, I had an idea to create her iconic multi-stem pattern on canvas using magazine pictures.

First, I traced the shape of her design and cut out a cardboard pattern. I used that pattern to cut leaves out of different colored and textured pages from a magazine. I made sure to flip the pattern over for half of the leaves. I ended up with 26 leaves.


I bought a 12"x36" canvas and marked a small center line with painters tape. I then painted a layer of white - that way if any paint got under the tape, it would be white.

 
Then painted black on top of it, and removed the tape. There are some parts where my black line in a little squibbly, but that's okay.

 
I glued my leaves onto the canvas with a glue stick (so I could move them around - if the leaves don't stick super well, just hold the leaves down for a few seconds), and then added a layer of Mod Podge over the top. Easy and quick!

 
Here it is hanging on the wall above my desk.

 
It makes me smile every time I walk into the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment