Tuesday, December 24, 2013

12 Days of Christmas: Day 11 - Caramel Sauce

Merry Christmas Eve!

For the first time in years - years - I will be spending most of Christmas Eve at home. Of course, this just means that we'll spend most of Christmas Day going from one place to another, but that's a story for another time. Today, we'll be hanging out, watching Christmas movies (White Christmas, of course), and heading to Christmas Eve service at church. After service, we'll head to my mom's house to have dinner and do Christmas with my step-sister and her husband. We'll do a couple of gifts for Elijah, but we're going to save most of them for Christmas morning. We ended up doing almost all of our gifts on Christmas Eve last year, and the morning ended up being kind of a let down. I don't want that for my kid, so we're changing it up.

My mom says she has everything under control for dinner, but I thought I would bring her some homemade caramel sauce and hopefully get rid of the last of our Thanksgiving apples (which are still delicious).

Here is my recipe for caramel sauce:

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • 6 tbsp butter
Directions:
  1. Melt the sugar in a medium pot, stirring constantly (be careful, it will get extremely hot). You want to be sure to melt all the crystals, but also be careful to not burn it. I usually leave it on the heat until it is almost all melted, but take it off and let the residual heat finish the melting process (this was a hint from my chef friend)
  2. Add the butter and wisk until melted.
  3. Add the cream and stir until blended and smooth.
  4. Let cool in the pan for a few minutes, then pour into a glass jar and let cool. Use hot pads if you need to move it - it will be hot.
I hope your Christmas Eve is full of wonderful people and memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment