Saturday, December 21, 2013

12 Days of Christmas: Day 8 - Beanbags

Elijah has been playing with beanbags at school, and he has been loving them! I decided to make him a few for Christmas. These would be great little stocking stuffers for a little person.

Sorry for the lack of pictures - I took some, but Blogger and my computer do not seem to be friends at the moment.

Here's what you need:

scrap fabric (2 5"x5" squares)
rice or beans
funnel or squeeze bottle
pinking shears (not pictured)

Directions:

1. Cut your fabric into 5"x5" squares. I made 8 squares for my 4 beanbags.

2. With wrong sides together, sew around with a 1/4" seam allowance. I used this stitch on my sewing machine so it would be strong enough to stand up to my little guy. Leave a small hole to add the rice or beans.

3. Using the funnel or the squeeze bottle, fill the bag with the rice or beans until about half full .

4. Sew up the hole.

5. Use pinking shears to trim the edges. This will keep it from fraying, and it looks cute!

That's it, you're done!

Add a ribbon and they're ready to be stuffed into a stocking. I plan on just giving Elijah some bowls to toss them in to, but you could also cut holes in a piece of cardboard or a box to make it into a game. These can also be used at little boo-boo bags - simply keep one in the freezer, and get it out when a boo-boo occurs. Or, they can be hand warmers. Just zap them in the microwave for 30 seconds and toss them in pockets to keep hands toasty. Such a useful gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment