Monday, December 30, 2013

A Sad Goodbye

Back in 2006, as I was getting ready to start graduate school, I adopted two kittens from the Humane Society. They were adorable, and I planned on naming them Marti and Margie (short for Martini and Margarita - eh, I was in college), but once I got them home, I always talked to them at the same time, so they just became kitties. Once James and I got married, we began to call them the boy cat and the girl cat. Those are the names that have stuck around for the past five years.

A few months ago, I noticed that the boy cat had started losing weight. At the time, that wasn't such a bad thing - he had been a pretty hefty cat. However, as time passed, he just kept losing weight. I took him to the vet a few weeks ago. He had severe anemia, so they prescribed him some medications, but due to the holiday, getting the medication took a while. It finally arrived on Thursday, and for two days, everything was fine. On Saturday, however, he took a turn for the worse. I was able to take him in to the vet this morning, and after much deliberation, it was decided that the kindest course of action would be to put him down.

So, I had to say goodbye to my sweet cat. He was a big, lovable cat. He purred louder than any cat I've ever met, and he would constantly bump his head into you until you would pet him. He was a bit of a scaredy cat, and was terrified of our dog, so he spent a lot of time hiding. He liked to sleep in the sink, and would carry small plastic items into the bathtub and bat them around. He was a good cat, and I will miss him.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment